Planning & Zoning
The Planning and Zoning Division helps ensure the community develops in a safe, efficient, attractive manner and strives to achieve quality developments enhancing the quality of life for our citizens.
Comprehensive planning coordinates the long-range planning activities in the city and responds to requests for demographic and mapping information. This section is responsible for the creation and implementation of the Unified Development Ordinance and the City of Portland Comprehensive Plan.
The Development Services Department also administers the review of proposed development projects to ensure compliance with the City’s development regulations. This section coordinates pre-submittal meetings, administers the zoning and regulates the platting process. This arm of the department prepares and presents site data and recommendations to the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council regarding zoning considerations, plats and request for variances to development standards.
Recent & Pending Zoning Cases
Notice is hereby given that Public Hearings will be held before the Planning and Zoning Commission of the City of Portland on April 9, 2019 (Tuesday) and the City Council of the City of Portland on April 16, 2019 (Tuesday) in the Council Chambers of the City Hall (1900 Billy G. Webb Drive - Daniel P. Moore Community Center Complex) at 7:00 p.m. on each date to solicit comments from citizens and other interested parties concerning a request for a Special Use Permit for a Group Home from the Portland First Church of the Nazarene at 400 Lang Road. If approved, the Special Use Permit would allow the applicant to operate a men’s residential discipleship program on the premises. The applicant intends to utilize five rooms in the church for living, hygiene, and care needs. The applicant would not permit participants to leave the facility without being accompanied by leadership. The application materials are located here.
- Notice of Public Hearing - October 15, 2019: Sixth Street Right-of-Way
- Notice of Public Hearing - June 9, 2020 Garnett Estates
- Notice of Public Hearings - Rezoning Request "P" to "C-R" Northshore Cinema 8 Co.
- Notice of Public Hearings - Purchase of Right-of-Way between 200 Second St. and unopened Commerce St
- Notice of Public Hearings - Rezoning Request Lang North Subdivision Unit 4, Block 2 Lots 1-6 for "CUP" Community Unit Plan Zoning District to "PUD" Planned Unit Development Zoning District and PT W PT Sec 90 Paul Sub CFP from" R-6" Single Family Residential to "I" Industrial
City council adopted an ordinance at its November 5, 2013 meeting affecting subdivisions, platting, use, turning lanes, surface improvements, fire hydrant access and fees for fire code plan review and inspections. Please click here to see the ordinance.
- 2019 Development Approval Meeting Schedule
- Plat Review and Approval Application
- Utility Service Policy Outside City Limits
- Zoning Change Application
- Zoning Map