- Must be 18 years old or older.
- Must be certified as a basic structural firefighter by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (link).
- Must be certified as an Emergency Medical Technician (Basic) by the Texas Department of State Health Services (link).
- NOTE: Fire certified within 90 days of gaining EMT certification or EMT certified within 90 days of gaining fire certification.
- Must be in good physical condition and weight is in proportion to height.
- Must meet the job description requirements for a Portland Fire Department firefighter.
- Must pass a drug screening examination.
- Must pass an oral interview board.
- Must pass the physical agility test (link).
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Must possess a valid Texas driver’s license and pass the Class B firefighter’s exemption within the first 6 months of hire.
- Must successfully pass an investigation of personal history and background to determine suitability for the position of firefighter with the Portland Fire Department.
- Must reside within 45 miles / 1 hour drive time of the city limits of Portland.
When positions become available, the Fire Department will post the position at portlandtx.gov/jobs (link).